From Lerwick, head North on the main A970 towards Hillswick, after around 22 miles you will pass through Brae, continue on the main road towards Hillswick. When you pass over the Muckle Roe bridge keep left onto the main road at the first bend.
Orwick Lodge is 1 mile after the bridge on the right hand side...Find out more
- Home ›
- Attractions and Activities
Attractions and Activities
Muckle Roe is a great place to explore: There are a number of walks around the island and you have free access, just close any gates that you open, and take care near the cliffs.
There are a couple of great beaches to visit at the Muckle Ayre (just turn right onto main road and drive to end of the public road then a 5 minute walk to the beach)
Alternately to can go to Ottersayre: turn left at the foot of drive and continue to the North end of the island, before the last house, after parking there is a track on your left that you can walk down about 10 minutes to the nice beach.
The Hams of Roe and the Bjorg are also must see and is a 1 hour walk on a track from the main road. www.walkshetland.com
- There is a local Co-op with Post Office
- The Brae Garage is a well - stocked garage shop with local bread, fish and meat and many of the items that you might not get from the Co-op.
- The Brae Building Centre is a local hardware shop, containing many unusual items, everything from fishing tackle and batteries to builders’ materials.
Eating out in Brae:
- Busta House Hotel: 01806 522 506 www.bustahouse.com
- Drumquin Quest House: 01806 522 621 www.drumquinguesthouse.co.uk
Sit down/ takeaway:
- Frankies Fish and Chips (award winning local fish and chip cafe): 01806 522 700 www.frankiesfishandchips.com (highly recommended)
- Brae Indian Takeaway: 01806 522 500
Things to do in Shetland:
- St. Magnus Bay Boat Trips: (Based in Aith) Contact Victor Gray for bookings T - 01595 810 378 M – 07799610025 e- email@example.com www.stmagnusbay.shetland.co.uk
- Northmavine Charters (based at Collafirth pier) fishing trips sightseeing tours individual and group booking welcome rods & tackle can be supplied all year round weather permitting. contact Kevin for bookings and more details M- 07765907818 firstname.lastname@example.org www.northmavinecharters.com
- Shetland Marine Charters (Based in Brae) T: + 44 (0)1806 522 429 M: + 44 (0)7880 950 246 e: email@example.com www.shetlandmarinecharters.com
Other great trips highly recommended:
- Seabirds and Seals www.seabirds-and-seals.com (Lerwick) by e- firstname.lastname@example.org by phone or text: +44 (0) 7595 540 224 (24 hours, all year round)
- Mousa www.mousa.co.uk e- email@example.com T- 44 (0)7901 872339
- Muckle Flugga Charters www.muckleflugga.co.uk email : firstname.lastname@example.org T- 01806 522447
- North Mainland Leisure centre: www.srt.org.uk/north-mainland Tel: (01595) 807710
- Check out what’s on in Shetland Daily www.shetlink.com/events-calendar
Things to do with Children:
- Michaelswood Aith
- Gardens at Sand www.gairdins.org.uk
- Brae Swimming Pool
- Clickimin Centre swimming Pool Lerwick www.srt.org.uk/clickimin-pool
- St Ninians Isle
- Bannaminn and Meal Beaches (Burra)
- Shetland Museum (Lerwick) www.shetland-museum.org.uk
- Brae School Playpark (Not during school time)
- Lerwick Playpark (King Harald Street)