From Lerwick, head North on the main A970 towards Hillswick, after around 22 miles you will pass through Brae, continue on the main road towards Hillswick. When you pass over the Muckle Roe bridge keep left onto the main road at the first bend.
Orwick Lodge is 1 mile after the bridge on the right hand side...Find out more
No documents found.View all comments
- Attractions and Activities
Attractions and Activities
Muckle Roe is a great place to explore: There are a number of walks around the island to which you have free access (just close any gates that you open) and take care near the cliffs.
There are at least two great beaches to visit at the Muckle Ayre (just turn right onto main road and drive to end of the public road then a 5 minute walk to the beach)
Alternately to can go to Ottersayre: turn left at the foot of drive and continue to the North end of the island, before the last house, after parking there is a track on your left that you can walk down about 10 minutes to the nice beach.
The Hams of Roe and the Bjorg are also essential and a 1 hour walk on a track from the main road. www.walkshetland.com
- There is a local mini Co-op Supermarket with Post Office
- The Brae Garage is a well - stocked garage shop with local bread, fish and meat and stocks of items that you might not get from the Co-op.
- The Brae Building Centre and Garriock Brothers are local hardware shops, containing many unusual items, everything from fishing tackle and batteries to builders’ materials.
Eating out in Brae:
- Busta House Hotel: 01806 522 506 www.bustahouse.com
- Moorfield: 01806 520 010 www.themoorfieldhotelshetland.co.uk
Sit down/ takeaway:
- Frankies Fish and Chips (award winning local fish and chip cafe): 01806 522 700 www.frankiesfishandchips.com (highly recommended)
- Brae Chinese Takeaway: 01806 522 500 www.facebook.com/no1Brae
- Island Deli: local deli preparing fresh sandwiches/ platters 07810 458208 facebook/island-deli
Things to do in Shetland:
- Seabirds and Seals www.seabirds-and-seals.com (Lerwick) by e- firstname.lastname@example.org by phone or text: +44 (0) 7595 540 224 (24 hours, all year round)
- Mousa www.mousa.co.uk e- email@example.com T- +44 (0)7901 872 339
- North Mainland Leisure centre: www.srt.org.uk/north-mainland 01595 807 710
- Check out what’s on in Shetland Daily: www.whatsonshetland.com
Things to do with Children:
- Michaelswood Aith
- Gardens at Sand www.gairdins.org.uk
- Brae Swimming Pool
- Clickimin Centre swimming Pool Lerwick www.srt.org.uk/clickimin-pool
- St Ninians Isle
- Bannaminn and Meal Beaches (Burra)
- Shetland Museum (Lerwick) www.shetland-museum.org.uk
- Brae School Playpark (Not during school time)
- Lerwick Playpark (King Harald Street)
- Kergord Tree Walk